Daily Fantasy Baseball Forecast for Friday, July 24, 2015

This is Warren Gray back with the daily article on daily fantasy Baseball predictions. The saying is partially true - you can't predict baseball... However we can predict with accuracy over the long run which are most likely to be high and low scoring games, potential rain-outs, pitching suggestions (start and avoid), and other info that can give us an edge over our daily fantasy competition. In each edition of our daily series we evaluate the baseball games in search of the best baseball games to target for daily fantasy plays. Today's daily fantasy projections are for July 24, 2015, and as usual for a Friday we have a full docket of games to pick from today. Today we have more than a single game expected to be a above average choice for daily fantasy offence. Those games also include at worst one likely pitcher's duel for those who love to watch pitching dominate. We will investigate the specifics of both of the outlier games shortly. It's time to get started, let's study the outlook for today.

Projected Winners and Losers

Now we will take a look at which teams are predicted to win today. Great Matchups are games in which the odds of the projected winning team winning are relatively high compared to the average game. Average matchups describe games that the projected winning team has a good chance to win, and coin flips indicate games that are just too close to call with any confidence. Probable pitchers are listed in parenthesis.

    Great Matchups
  • Chicago Cubs (Jon Lester-LHP) -over- Philadelphia (Jerome Williams-RHP)
  • St. Louis (Tim Cooney-LHP) -over- Atlanta (Manny Banuelos-LHP)
  • Cleveland (Corey Kluber-RHP) -over- Chicago White Sox (Jose Quintana-LHP)
    Average Matchups
  • Washington (Max Scherzer-RHP) -over- Pittsburgh (Jeff Locke-LHP)
  • Arizona (Patrick Corbin-LHP) -over- Milwaukee (Jimmy Nelson-RHP)
  • San Diego (Andrew Cashner-RHP) -over- Miami (Dan Haren-RHP)
  • Boston (Rick Porcello-RHP) -over- Detroit (Justin Verlander-RHP)
  • Seattle (Felix Hernandez-RHP) -over- Toronto (Drew Hutchison-RHP)
  • San Francisco (Jake Peavy-RHP) -over- Oakland (Jesse Chavez-RHP)
    Coin Flips (50/50 Matchups)
  • N.Y. Mets (Jonathon Niese-LHP) -vs- L.A. Dodgers (Ian Thomas-LHP)
  • Colorado (Eddie Butler-RHP) -vs- Cincinnati (Anthony DeSclafani-RHP)
  • Houston (Scott Kazmir-LHP) -vs- Kansas City (Jeremy Guthrie-RHP)

High and Low Scoring Games

High scoring games are games in which the metrics indicate that a lot of runs could be scored. These matchups are particularly ideal for stacking daily fantasy players on the same team, hoping for a big day from multiple players. Stacking players on the same team is an ideal strategy in large tournaments in which there are plenty of opponents to beat out. Offensive players depend on each other to score points from runs and RBIs, so choosing players on a team who you expect to score a lot of runs is typically a very good strategy for daily formats in which you are up against a large number of opponents. These are also the matchups in which you most likely want to avoid the starting pitchers and possibly even the bullpens.

    High Scoring Games
  • Philadelphia -vs- Chicago Cubs (4:05 PM)
  • Cincinnati -vs- Colorado (8:40 PM)
  • Detroit -vs- Boston (7:10 PM)
    Pitcher's Duels (Low Scoring Games)
  • Washington -vs- Pittsburgh (7:05 PM)
  • Miami -vs- San Diego (10:10 PM)
  • Baltimore -vs- Tampa Bay (7:10 PM)

Pitchers to Target or Avoid

Remember that the pitching recommendations are best used over a large sample size. As you probably know, baseball is a sport in which playing above average matchups wins out over time, but not necessarily every day. Remember to keep this in mind as you play DFS.

Pitchers to Target

Pitchers who should be very good targets today due to favorable matchups include: Max Scherzer and Jeff Locke. Other pitchers who should be pretty good targets today due to favorable matchups include: Dan Haren, Andrew Cashner, Chris Tillman, Chris Archer, Tim Cooney and Corey Kluber.

Pitchers to Avoid

Keep Jerome Williams out of your lineups today as he has a very bad matchup. Starters who are expected to be poor options today due to unfavorable matchups include: Anthony DeSclafani and Eddie Butler. There are also other pitchers who should be avoided today, including: Justin Verlander, Rick Porcello, Manny Banuelos and Jose Quintana. These recommendations don't mean that a pitcher on the list is certain to have a bad game, but it does mean that we wouldn't bet on it.

Weather

Fantasy players who get rained out typically score zero points. The following games have a chance for rain delays: Detroit at Boston (40% chance of rain), Houston at Kansas City (40% chance of rain) and Toronto at Seattle (60% chance of rain).

Part of a Series: 

Category: